OBEs, NDEs & Remote Viewing ExplainedFrom The Science of Spirituality
14a – OBEs, NDEs and Remote Viewing Explained
Conscious Out-of-Body Experiences (Astral Travel / Projection)
Every time we fall asleep we have an out-of-body experience, but it is not a conscious experience. When we fall asleep our monad (self), along with our emotional, mental and lesser causal bodies, leaves our physical-etheric body. Exactly the same thing occurs in a conscious out-of-body experience (COBE), except the exit point is different:
- When we fall asleep, our monad (self) exits through the solar plexus or heart chakra, depending on whether it is going to the lower or upper emotional world. Exiting through either of these chakras causes the consciousness thread (which links the monad to the physical-etheric body) to become detached, hence the physical body loses consciousness. The physical brain plays no part in the out-of-body experience, so has no recollection the event. The memories are, however, stored in our emotional permanent atom, which is part of our subconscious and has a powerful influence on our dreams.
- For a conscious out-of-body experience, the monad (self) must exit through the crown chakra. This allows the consciousness thread to remain attached so the physical body does not fall asleep. The physical brain remains connected to the remote monad, which provides real-time conscious awareness of the out-of-body experience and full recall afterwards. When out-of-body, our waking consciousness is no longer restricted by the etheric web or limited by the physical brain, so we can perceive non-physical beings and environments. The “silver cord” that out-of-body explorers often report seeing is the life thread or sutratma, which carries life energies from the monad to the heart chakra of each subtle body.
Figure 14a – The Arrangement of the Subtle Bodies in a Conscious Out-of-Body Experience
When we are awake, all three units of our triad are connected by the consciousness thread. This allows our monad to be simultaneously aware of perceptions from our physical-etheric, emotional and mental bodies. The same is true with a COBE except that the emotional-mental body is remote from the physical-etheric body. The absence of the emotion-mental body causes the physical-etheric body to become paralysed.
Conscious out-of-body experiences can occur spontaneously or intentionally. The ability of the monad to intentionally leave the body via the crown chakra and maintain continuity of consciousness is called “samadhi”, which is a Sanskrit term. People generally associate samadhi with meditation; however conscious out-of-body experiences are not induced by controlling our consciousness but by controlling the matter of our subtle bodies.
Conscious out of body experiences in the emotional world are only possible when the chakras of the emotional body are fully active, and experiences in the mental world are only possible when the chakras of the mental body are full active. Conscious out-of-body experiences are impossible for primitive people because their monads are centred in the physical atom (1:7), which is incapable of objectively perceiving the emotional world. People at all the other stages of development are theoretically capable of COBEs, although they are extremely unlikely at the civilised stage because the chakras aren’t all active. Developed people are only capable of experiencing the emotional world (2:1–2:6) in their COBEs. Humanistic people can experience the emotional world and the mental world (3:1–3:4). Enlightened people can experience the emotional world, mental world and causal world (3:5–3:7).
Being fully conscious in the emotional world is far more reliable than clairvoyance or mediumship for acquiring information about the non-physical worlds or communicating with the “dead”. But practitioners should never forget the illusory nature of the emotional world and remember that they are unlikely to learn anything of real value. Various books, audios and videos are available for those wishing to learn how to induce COBEs, but a tremendous amount of dedication is required and most will fail. Anyone who is thinking about learning the technique should seriously consider their motives because the time and effort could be put to better use by actively developing their level of consciousness.
Conscious out-of-body experiences can be induced with drugs like ketamine and DMT, or plant extracts like ayahuasca. They work by blocking neurotransmitter receptors in the brain, which temporarily prevents the person from utilising parts of their physical brain, which triggers an out-of-body experience or extrasensory perception.
A near-death experience is a type of conscious out-of-body experience that occurs at a time of intense physical distress. The stages of a typical near-death experience (NDE) are listed below and explained from an esoteric perspective:
- You hear a loud ringing or buzzing sound. This is caused by your emotional-mental body detaching from your physical-etheric body.
- You travel through a long dark tunnel. Your monad (self) travels up the central sushumna channel of your etheric spine and out of the crown chakra. This point of exit allows the consciousness thread to remain connected, which enables “live” perception of the event and subsequent recollection by the waking consciousness.
- You notice that you are outside of your physical body but still in the immediate environment. You are objectively conscious in your emotional-mental body.
- You look down on your physical body and feel intense emotional upheaval as attempts are made to resuscitate it. Emotions are greatly intensified when the emotional body is free from the dampening effect of the dense physical body.
- You realise that you still have a body, but one of a very different nature to the physical body you have temporarily left behind. The emotional body can fly, pass through solid matter and visit non-physical worlds.
- Other non-physical humans come to meet you to ease your fears and disorientation, then an angelic being of light appears – this is your guardian angel.
- The angel telepathically asks you to evaluate your life. You are shown an incredibly detailed panoramic review of your life, which includes everything you have ever done, said, thought, felt or experienced (more on this shortly).
- You are overwhelmed by the intense feelings of joy, love and peace. As previously stated, your emotions are greatly intensified when your emotional body is free from the dampening effect of the dense physical body.
- The angel tells you that you must return to Earth because your time has not yet come.
- You return to your physical body and wake up with full recollection of the experience.
Near-death experiences are induced by our guardian angel to awaken us to our life’s purpose or get our life back on track. They show us things about ourselves so that we may become better people, and they show us things about our lives so that we can make the most of them. They show us our true colours; without ego or self-deception. Quite simply, a near-death experience is a wake up call to remind us that our life could have ended but we are being given a second chance.
The life review is often described as being more vivid and real than the original events were. This is because our feelings and emotions are greatly intensified in the emotional world. People often describe being able to sense the other person’s perspective in addition to their own. This is because our emotional body perceives every emotional thought-form that passes through it, but most are too subtle to make themselves known to our physical waking consciousness. However, the memories remain in the subconscious and can easily be recalled in the out-of-body state. This enables the events to be relived with an added “dimension”.
Some near-death experiencers report being given the choice to remain in the emotional world or to return to the physical world. Everyone chooses to return to Earth because if it really was their time to die they would just die – there would be no NDE and there would be no “choice”. Their guardian angel knows what their decision will be and only offers the choice to those who want to return to Earth, because they are more likely to embrace their second chance if they willingly chose to return. If their guardian angel knows they want to stay, it will simply tell them that they must return to Earth.
Remote viewing is a mental faculty that allows a “viewer” to describe a remote location, known as a “target”, by acquiring information that is not available to the ordinary physical senses. Accomplished remote viewers can describe locations on the other side of the world that they have never visited, describe events that happened many years ago, describe a picture in a sealed envelope, or describe a specific person’s current location and activity – all without being told anything about the target.
Remote viewing was used extensively by US government “psychic spies” during the Cold War for classified military projects. It has now entered the public domain and numerous professional organisations have been set up to conduct research, introduce standards and help people to develop this intriguing mental ability, but none of them seem to fully understand the mechanism behind it.
Remote viewing simply involves imagining yourself at the remote location observing the target. The power of your imagination creates a synthetic copy of your subtle bodies. The thought-form is projected to the target location where it acts as a remote “self”. The multidimensional nature of our subtle bodies enables them to be in two physical locations simultaneously. Sensory impressions perceived by the remote self are communicated back to the viewer by sympathetic vibrations, i.e. they give rise to identical vibrations in the viewer’s subtle bodies, which can then be perceived by the physical waking consciousness. The process works in the same way that a vibrating tuning fork makes other identical tuning forks resonate.
Remote viewing is a skill that can be learnt and does not require any natural ability or special “gift”. Anyone who is awakened enough to be interested in remove viewing probably has sufficient mental capacity to learn the technique. The clarity and accuracy of perception depends on the viewer’s level of consciousness and how much they practise. With practise, the thought-form-self becomes better “trained” and the informational pathways to waking consciousness become more effectual. A temporary loss of concentration causes the remote “self” to dissolve, and it must be reformed before the remote viewing can resume.
Figure 14b – The Mechanism of Remote Viewing
Remote viewers generally follow strictly controlled scientific protocols to ensure there is no possibility of cheating. This usually involves “viewing” a target that is identified only by a numerical code. The code might refer to the Sydney Harbour Bridge but the remote viewer will not know that; they will just be told to view location 123-456, for instance. So how does the thought-form know where to go? The person who devises the remote viewing test chooses a numerical code to represent the target they have in mind, so the two are mentally connected. The information that links the numerical code to the target is vibrationally embedded into the numerical code (all this occurs subconsciously and automatically). When the remote viewer sees the code, their sub-conscious mind simply “reads” the embedded location and knows where to go.
Remote viewers can even view events from history because every event that has ever taken place is vibrationally recorded in the surrounding matter (the akashic record). Every atom of matter possesses a degree of consciousness and has an undying memory. The memories of these events can be accessed by our meta-conscious minds and raised up to conscious awareness.
Some techniques for exploring the non-physical realms of the afterlife, such as the one described by Bruce Moen in the Afterlife Knowledge Guidebook are very similar to remote viewing. Moen refers to two components of consciousness that are necessary to acquire knowledge of the afterlife:
- The perceiver is the remote thought-form that is sent to the non-physical environment.
- The interpreter is our physical-etheric brain. It receives sensory information from the perceiver and assembles it into a coherent image of the remote environment. The physical-etheric brain cannot always make sense of information from non-physical environments, so it searches its memory bank for something that roughly approximates to the image it is receiving. The same thing occurs in our dreams.
Moen’s technique involves continually shifting one’s attention between the remote perceiver and the local interpreter in order to retain a continuous and coherent memory of the experience. The physical-etheric brain must be allowed to comment on the perceptions it receives, but just long enough for them to be stored in the physical memory. Care must be taken not to let the interpreter get carried away in a chain of associated thoughts and memories, or the remote perceiver will fade away.
As with any method of obtaining information from the emotional or mental worlds, there is a high probability that your own preconceived beliefs and ideas will influence what you “see”. You are also likely to encounter manifestations of other people’s erroneous ideas and false beliefs.